Thursday, March 25, 2010

I'm stuck!

The darn # on the scale won't go down! I'm exercising 5-6 days/week, eating tons of veggies, trying to drink enough water and not eating treats (really....I promise!). But I'm still stuck at the same # I was at the last weigh in. I know there are lots of things I could be doing better (like blogging & journaling) so I'll try to work on that, but I just wonder what's going on. I KNOW I'm not very good at eating every 3 hours, do you guys think that is REALLY that important? I usually have a green smoothie and egg whites for breakfast. Then a protein shake after I exercise (which then turns into lunch since I'm not hungry). I eat lots of veggies for snacks and then a decent dinner with the family which includes a big salad. We are all trying to go very low sugar, no bad carbs and all that. I just don't like being stuck.

BUT I shouldn't complain too bad. I ordered some summer capris from Kohls. I'm wearing a size 12 pant (that's quite loose) so I ordered a size 10 and size 8 (for inspiration). Guess what! The 8's ALREADY fit!!! They are a bit tight but I COULDN"T believe it! So I pulled out my tape measure to check things out. I really wish I'd measured that the start of the comp. I didn't measure till 3/2 and I'm already down a whole inch in my waist! In only 3 weeks! I quickly checked a few other places and they're all smaller! So, it's good, but why isn't it showing in the scale?

2 comments:

  1. Don't worry bout the scale! Seriously...it will come! You are doing what's right, and by the sounds of it, your body is shrinking,...that's what's important! Eventually the scale catches up with the program too! Just keep doing what you're doing! Yay you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh darlin. I feel your pain. A smart lady at sparks people said the following...

    "Because we are all experiments of one" we cannot compare our weight loss to the rate at which others lose. For many people, the results can take as long as 8 weeks before they show up on the scale, but that does not mean the changes aren't happening. Because our bodies are largely made up of water, any deviation in our diet, hydration, workouts, even hormones can lead to a big shift on the scale.


    Know that all changes within the body must begin at the cellular level...all the way down to the fat cells need to release the free fatty acids, to the muscle cells making bigger and more numerous mitochondria-these are the organelles within the cells-to give us energy.


    It isn't uncommon to see a slight upward shift in weight when we start exercising and eating better. For one the muscles are making more mitochondria which allow for extra glycogen-stored glucose in the cells- therefore, your body hangs on to more water to help with the cooling off process for exercise and for helping process energy. Your muscles will also have an increase in blood volume in order to have better availability to oxygen and removing waste, especially lactic acid. These things coupled with eating higher fiber foods, such as fruits and veggies can show a gain, when in all reality it is just a shift in fluids.

    ReplyDelete